Tuesday morning we packed up and headed to the train station. Our apartment was on the "2nd" floor, and the narrow spiral staircase was did not make transporting luggage or a stroller very easy. (It was more like the 3rd, since there is a 1.5 floor in between the 1st and ours. I don't quite get the numbering.)
The courtyard of our apartment
We boarded a train going to Bayeux, a small city west
of Paris and near the northern coastline of France.
We first dropped off our luggage at our charming bed and breakfast--La Tour Louise.
It's a 200 year-old home, but it was wonderfully furnished and updated inside without losing any of the old French charm. I loved using the skeleton keys for our rooms!
Outside our bathroom window, we had a beautiful view of the cathedral.
We went for a quick walk and found a small restaurant, Pomme Cannelle, for lunch. Onion soup was a popular choice and I chose a galette, or a savory buckwheat crepe (filled with ham, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and cream). (I tried to chose French cuisine whenever we ate, but I was not about to venture into the foie gras, steak tartar, or escargots.) Although we didn't get a picture of it, their pomme cannelle (apple cinnamon) crepe with cinnamon ice cream was the best dessert crepe of the entire trip.
In the same square was the Cathedral de Notre-Dame Bayeux.
During the trip Nolan consistently referred to the cathedrals as "temples."
It is a very beautiful cathedral, and hardly anyone was there.
I am always impressed by the attention to detail in all of these cathedrals. Constructing these buildings today would be impressive to me; I'm not sure how they built them a thousand years ago.
After exploring the church, we walked back to the room to rest, while Dad and Justin picked up our car.
That evening, we went for stroll around town.
More of the beautiful chocolate chickens and eggs for Easter.
We finished off the night at Pomme Cannelle for dinner. I tried a salmon galette this time and Justin had beef hash (similar to hamburger patty with a fried egg on top--sound similar, Rebecca?).












Love that cute bed and breakfast! Looks so "france". And the key, too perfect. The beef hash sounds amazing! The chocolate eggs are really pretty too.
ReplyDelete