Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools' Day: Operation Jell-Oed Sandwich

After my first attempt at an April Fools' Day prank last year, I knew that I had to be prepared for possible retaliation this time around and come up with another trick. So, I searched all the websites and thought really hard for a good prank to pull on Justin. Justin and I have a rule about pranks--nothing mean. Neither of us wants the clocks moved an hour earlier, nor do we want to be momentarily panicked by a phone call regarding a fake car crash or broken bones/trip to the ER. So what to do...?

Justin's a fan of the TV show The Office and I was just waiting for the perfect opportunity to put something in Jell-O. So, after other plans failed to come together, something was going to be Jell-Oed.

Now a little background information--I make Justin's lunch every day. I've always thought about making lunches the night before to save time in the morning, just never got around to it. Well, I decided yesterday (and probably only yesterday) that I would make our lunches the night before. Justin thought this was a great idea (had no idea what was going on). So, I'm making sandwiches for our lunches and the Jell-O in the kitchen while Justin's reading a book in our bedroom. Without warning, Justin comes in the kitchen. He's surprised about the Jell-O, but I said something about how I thought it sounded good to eat or something. He believed it--still not even a bit suspicious.

He goes back in the bedroom and I put his sandwich in a plastic bag, and then in a gladware container (if the Jell-O got to the sandwich and ruined his lunch I would have felt bad...so that's why there was extra protection). I line his lunch box with a ziploc gallon bag, put the sandwich container in and pour the warm Jell-O juice on top and stick it all in the fridge. I woke up several times in the night worried about it, but after a few fixes it all set up in the morning.

Sorry for the poor picture, but it had to be taken quickly to avoid being caught (again). I think you can vaguely distinguish a sandwich inside.

This morning when we were getting ready for school, I was worried that the Jell-O may have gotten to the sandwich. So I told him if the sandwich was soggy because I made it the night before, he should buy food at lunch. He assured me it would be fine, but I knew there was increased risks with the Jell-O involved. When he dropped me off at the train station, I couldn't resist saying, "Happy April Fools'!" and quickly closed the car door.

He says that's when he was able to put all the events together and figured out I had Jell-Oed his lunch (apparently I have enough of my odd moments that none of this was really abnormal). And as it turns out, the sandwich was unscathed by the Jell-O and his friends thought it was funny, too. Luckily I was able to make it through the day without pranks pulled on me--Justin had completely forgot that it was April Fools' Day. We'll see what happens next year.....mwah ha ha ha.

4 comments:

  1. I'm just glad it wasn't my stapler.... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha that is really funny and really disgusting. I would not have been able to eat the sandwich. way to be a champ J$.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally want to be added to your blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funny and clever! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete