So, in the last couple of months, we have had various excuses to go out to eat. I thought I'd share some of our experiences.
Simply Fondue
Why we went: 1) I had bought a Groupon earlier, 2) it seemed like a nice place to go for our anniversary (vs. Wendy's or Chili's, etc) and 3) fondue sounded like a fun adventure.
The Truth: I blame our experience mostly on the waitress, who I felt deceived us into buying more food that we didn't really want, and in the end had plenty of leftovers (they also included the tip automatically for just the 2 of us). Also, it's not as cool to cook your own food in the dark when you can't really see if it's done or not (this seemed darker than normal) and without a timer. I could continue, but I'll keep this short. Our general opinion--over rated and over priced. Anyone else feel this way about fondue restaurants?
Saltgrass Steakhouse
Why we went: A fellow dental student friend's birthday party.
The Truth: We had a great time and they accommodated the large group very easily. No problems splitting checks or slow service. Justin and I even split a large steak dinner and it was plenty for the both of us and was tasty enough (although slightly over cooked). We tried a few of our friend's fried stuffed mushrooms--very good! We also got a 10% discount because we're AAA members.
Blowing out the candle.
Table 1 (there was another table of friends = lots of people)
Trece
Why: This is a mexican restaurant in trendy uptown that has a "neighborhood appreciation night" on Mondays = you get a free salad/soup/appetizer and a entrée per person. You are supposed to pay a normal tip and for any beverages, but it's nearly free = can't resist to try.
The Truth: We loved the appetizers (tortilla soup and quesadilla), but the main dishes were not good. I'm sure you're going to say that it's free and how can I complain, but I'd rather eaten at On the Border or Del Taco (they don't exist here in Dallas, sadly). We paid for guacamole and chips, which was decent and with the tip = $18. But if we had gone on any other night, the bill pre-tip would have been $67! No way. Despite the fact that we can go back for a nearly free (well, we could actually eat at Chile's or Applebee's for the same overall cost) dinner, we're not. Also, there was almost no one else in the restaurant...maybe that should have given us a hint.
Preston's
Why: This was a Baylor Odontological Honor Society dinner meeting. Only Justin got to go, so I missed out on the food but didn't have to sit through the (I'm sure, thoroughly engaging) talk on dental practices and insurance.
The Truth: Justin came home and said it was the best steak (a tenderloin filet) that he had ever had in his life. (At least his membership fee is going towards some tasty dinners.) My guess is that we won't be going back as a couple because of the $$, but I'm sure he'd recommend it.
Ruggeri's
Why: Post-temple date to celebrate our friend going through the temple. The original restaurant someone had chosen had closed, and this one was across the street.
The Truth: Oh, it was delicious! I couldn't decide between the manicotti or the ravioli, so the waiter told me they'd do half of each--which was an excellent choice! I don't think any one didn't really like their meal. Also, the bread was super crusty on the outside and delicate in the middle--and it kept coming, and coming, and coming. They also replaced any silverware I used (incorrectly) so I would have the proper utensils for the salad or entrée. Wasn't expecting that. It was also obviously family owned and had that nice ambiance to it.
"we love eachother"
ReplyDeletehahahahahahahahahahahha
what a comment
Oh no! Just bought a simple fondue groupon last night. I'll have to get the low-down on what to order. Italian sounds delish! We'll try it on our next Temple date night. :) Thanks!
ReplyDelete