Thursday, January 6, 2011

An update on our crashed apartment

We are back in Dallas, and for those interested we wanted to post an update on our current living conditions.  We flew back from Denver, CO on Monday night and came back to our apartment to see this:

The wall was rebuilt and bricked, front door replaced, and until the window arrives, it's boarded up (they had to custom order the window--apparently they weren't storing extras expecting someone to drive through one). 

The front of the apartment.

All the flooring in the living room was replaced, the walls were repainted, the inside wall and ceiling were fixed (our TV was pushed into the wall), and they cleaned up the place very well. All of our living room furniture was placed in the middle.  Although nearly everything was damaged, we were a little surprised how much wasn't completely obliterated.

Inside the living room 


The window upstairs in our bedroom was also broken in the accident and has been replaced, and new blinds are on their way.

So with our house in it's current state and the living room disaster flowing into the kitchen/dining area, I haven't cooked a dinner since.  I don't really feel like cooking and cleaning up dinner when I need to be cleaning up the whole living room.

Tuesday night we picked up chicken fingers from Raising Cane's.  It was our first try at the place, and it was delicious.  Really juicy chicken fingers and I even loved the coleslaw (I think it's a pregnancy food for me).
We shared the Caniac.

Wednesday night our good friends called us up and invited us to dinner--homemade lasagna.  I didn't take any pictures, but it was delicious.  Thank you!

Then tonight we used one of our Groupons for Avila's Restaurant, a Tex-Mex restaurant in the Oak Lawn area.  Justin ordered the chicken enchiladas with mole and I ordered pork tamales.  Although I've been bad at picking restaurants before, this was a hit.  And Guy Fieri (from Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives) and the D magazine think so, too.  

Justin's enchiladas

Me and my delicious tamales

Although our house isn't put together, we're doing great.  We're waiting to hear back from our insurance to see how much money we have to work with, before we start buying and refurbishing our place.  Unfortunately (and not surprisingly) the driver did not have any insurance.  Our apartment management has been so easy to work with and extremely helpful.  And we've gotten so much help from friends.  We appreciated all the pictures others took and sent us while we were still on vacation.  Thank you, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. we never introduced you to cane's down here?! hmmm weird

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Mexican food looks amazing. I am so impressed your apt managers had all that done before you got there!! That's awesome, but hopefully your insurance company is generous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH. MY. GOSH!
    I'm so sorry about your place! What a crazy mess to come home to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you dont have to go through the hassle of moving. Thanks for updates and pictures. We've been wondering since we heard how things were going down there.

    ReplyDelete