Monday, November 10, 2008

Saving the Planet-One plastic grocery bag at a time


Every Saturday I scan the ads and venture out to the stores.  And although grocery shopping can be very tedious and repetitive, I found something to celebrate.  This last Saturday I was $5 under budget, and all my groceries fit in my reusable grocery bags.  I'm sure this sounds like a lame excuse to celebrate, but I hate thinking about all the plastic bags that end up in landfills.  I re-use grocery bags for garbage and for lunches, but our gigantic collection is out of control and never seems to decrease. Some of the grocery stores do have plastic bag recycling bins, but for $1/bag I figured using these bags would be my attempt to save the planet.

Nov 14: Albertson's actually gives you a 5 cent/bag rebate when you bring in your reusable plastic bags.  In less than 1/2 a year, the bags are free.   

1 comment: