Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cinco de Mayo Fiesta

I am always looking for an excuse to get friends together and have some fun, so with cinco de Mayo just around the corner it was time to have una fiesta chiquita.

I started searching for a piñata and the cheapest one I found was $21--which I was not going to pay for. So I bought three balloons for $4 and told Justin he was going to help me make pinatas...and he even thought it was a fun idea. We covered them in newspaper and flour-water paste and then let them dry. Then Saturday I covered them with tissue paper, which cost $4. The whole process took about 6 hours, so 6 hours x my graduate pay rate + supplies = still cheaper and much more fun. They were even more fun to bust open (as noted in the video farther down).
Day 1 (This is such a messy project, so the plastic table protector was a must!)

Day 2

Day 3

I also made these modified cake pops from Bakerella and made them look like chiles. Way too much work (you can tell that I didn't finish all the green tops on the chiles) and I've discovered I don't like that plasticky candy coating. But, the inside cake/frosting is great. (Also, I have to apologize to my sister Camille for not making cupcakes from my Hello Cupcake book she got me...another day, I promise.)
Here we are with our virgin margaritas and mojitos. (Many recipes online said to mix the limeade drink mix w/the alcohol--which made our margaritas essentially limeade.)

Because of the pouring rain, we had to move our piñata smashing inside--which created some issues, but also made us laugh even more. In the video Justin is trying to hit the pinata, I am on the left holding up the pinata with Ezra on the right, and Sara is taking the video. Such a fun night and no one got hurt!


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these!! Such a fun night! Thanks for having us over. You are a good host :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I am sooooooo impressed with your pinatas! They look amazing. We are impressed with your creative talent. Nice party as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fun! You're such a great party thrower!!

    We love making pinatas (in fact we're making one for our ward Mexican Fiesta next week). I love all your beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like fun! so sorry we missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You made good pinatas. I've never been so successful in my attempts. And I love the chilis. How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally feel your pain! I actually made pinatas with all six of my junior high classes last year...a process that took way longer than I had anticipated. The janitors HATED me after that week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang Lee how do you do all these cool things?! Every holiday is so cool! I wish I was creative like you

    ReplyDelete