Saturday, August 2, 2014

Blueberry Picking

Because raspberry picking was such a wonderful success, I decided we just had to go blueberry picking before the season was over.

Saturday we went to Dondero's Orchard in Glastonbury that has apples, peaches, tomatoes, peppers--just about everything, including blueberries.

They gave me directions to the blueberry "patch," but I thought this netted area meant we weren't supposed to go in. We hiked back through the apple and other orchards to the front for further clarification. To any other novice blueberry pickers--the net is to keep the BIRDS out, not us. (Obviously.)

Nolan had way too much fun going in and out of the netting.


Oh, and did I mention that it was 85 F with 90% humidity?  Grant was sweaty in his stroller.

Searching for blueberries

These little berries were not as easy to pick as the raspberries. It took a lot more searching through the bushes and you had to be much more careful to select only the best little gems.

Grant was not happy in the stroller, so I let him sit on the ground. In the meanwhile Nolan kept running around the bushes and the berries in his bucket would scatter everywhere. I can't remember how many times we picked up the same berries from the ground.

Nolan sweats like crazy in this humidity.

At $2 a pound, I was hoping to leave with a gigantic bucket full of blueberries. It took quite a bit more effort than I was expecting and the weather was not pleasant, so we left with only two pounds. We paid for our blueberries and an ice-cold bottle of water, and Nolan played on some playground equipment while Grant and I hung out in the shade.

But those delicious blueberries were so sweet and juicy and worth the effort. (Not to mention, so much cheaper than the grocery store.) Pick-your-own fruit is the way to go! 

That night Nolan requested that we make blueberry pancakes just like Curious George. He didn't like them cooked into the pancake, but gobbled the fresh ones. Can't wait until next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment