Tuesday (Christmas Eve) morning I woke up with some peculiar contractions, although they weren't yet regularly spaced. Sensing that today was probably different, I went to the grocery store to pick up extra milk and bread, and by the time I was finished shopping (around 10:30 am) my contractions were every 20 minutes. I told Justin and got everything in place for the trip to the hospital (I had been packed for 4 weeks). We watched a Mickey Mouse Christmas cartoon with Nolan while waiting for my contractions to increase.
We left the house at 2pm and dropped Nolan off with our friends, the Oesers. We arrived at the hospital at 3 pm. While they were checking my stats, my water broke at 3:30 pm officially punching my ticket for admittance. (Good timing--we did not have to clean out the car!)
A little past 6 cm I decided to get an epidural. Justin was able to get dinner and relax while I chatted with the nurse. The epidural stopped working on my left side around 6:30 pm. Since I was already 8 cm dilated, I was trying to hold out and finish but I was throwing up, felt miserably hot, and thought about passing out. Luckily the anesthesiologist was able to fix the epidural and I was a happy lady again. Justin was a great coach and support--rubbing my back and reminding me to breath during that rough stretch.
My progress halted and I stayed at 8-9+ cm for another 4 hours. The baby was turned with his head facing up (not down) just like Nolan had been. I took turns laying on one side, then the other, and he turned himself around. At 11 pm we were worried we might not have a baby until Christmas, but once we started pushing Grant was born just 12 minutes later. He started to cry immediately and they put him right on my chest to hold.
Happy and puffy Alicia. Calm and relaxed Justin.
Little guy was completely covered.
Cuddle time with mom.
I nursed him before they cleaned him up, and he latched on like a pro.
7 lbs. 6.4 oz and 18 inches of adorable
The following morning (Christmas), Justin picked up Nolan from the Oesers and came over to visit me and baby Grant. Nolan wasn't excited to see Grant, but he wasn't upset, either. Baby Grant "gave" Nolan a present (a toy camera) which helped.
Justin and Nolan went home for the afternoon, but returned later that night to the hospital for a special "Congratulatory" dinner. We had steak and stuffed shrimp, sides, and cheesecake/chocolate cake. I was starving and thought it was delicious. Justin thought it was okay.
![]() |
| You can see Nolan's new camera on the wooden bedside tray. |
Handsome Dad with his new baby son.
Nolan was more interested in playing the ipad than holding his brother.
Thursday afternoon I was discharged from the hospital, and we went home to be a family of four.
Overall a great experience and so glad to finally have our little Grant join the family.
Overall a great experience and so glad to finally have our little Grant join the family.






Congratulations on another cute baby boy!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! You guys make such a cute family. I love the details of the story--what a treasure!
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you! and, from the looks of it, he's going to be just as cute as Nolan! Best of wishes to you all!
ReplyDeleteYou are so great at this pregnancy thing. Love baby Grant!
ReplyDelete